Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane - 6
chill song

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories - 7
a lot of weird unnecessary parts but when the main melody and guitars kick in it isn't bad

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time - 10
i would have liked to visit his mansion for a slumber party as a little boy

Free - Remember - 6
a bit too hippie-ish but ok

Prince - Purple Rain - 9
this is really nice

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent - 7
singer reminds me of the cranberries lady a bit

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On - 8
sweet

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright - 3
the instruments are alright but i hate his voice

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah! - 2
the fucks going on here

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back - 2
noisy

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago - 2
back to the cotton fields

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait - 2
unpleasant

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories - 10
god damn i wanna have sex with an expensive prostitute to this song

Regina Spektor - The Flowers - 5
silly hipster music

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere - 4
this dude needs to cheer up

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back - 4
oh look it's freddie

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane
5.5/10

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories
7.5/10
Rather ironic that this Ayreon song is more metal than the one that appeared on the metal game. It's rather decent, though.

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time
7/10
This is not my thing, and Michael Jackson kind of unnerves me, but it does have some tense harmonies going on, so points for that. I guess this was at the time when the whole new jack swing thing was in vogue - not too hard, not too soft.

Free - Remember
4.5/10
Mostly sentimental hokum.

Prince - Purple Rain
5/10
This is a super obvious pick, considering he just died. Not so obvious to me, though, as I never knew what the song was about. I only knew Prince did a song called "Purple Rain", and, upon hearing it, I guess it's okay, but I feel nothing.

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent
8/10
I can dig this; it's like a plaintive English ballad from centuries past.

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On
8/10
I've heard tell of this band for the longest name, without ever checking them out. It's not too bad.

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
6/10
This Song Is Alright.

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah!
5/10
Meh. I like some folk punk, but mostly just the gypsy punk variety.

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back
7/10
Decent.

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago
5/10
Pretty standard blues fare.

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait
8/10
This is solid post-punk. This isn't the sound I figured for Talking Heads.

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories
9/10
Haunting, sorrowful, ethereal - just what comes to mind when I bethink the topic of "reminiscence."

Regina Spektor - The Flowers
8.5/10
Deliciously melancholic and ends with a decidedly Eastern European bent.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere
8/10
It's plenty good. I won't begrudge Nick Cave's continued presence on this lists.

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back
6.5/10

A nice little ditty. 6/10.

Ayreon -
Day Ten: Memories
Some of the worst lyrics I've heard lately. The vocal harmonies did not help this song in the slightest bit. Oh no, he tried to go Peter Steele at the end. 2/10.

Michael Jackson -
Remember the Time
Well he's definitely reminiscing. I just wish it was about something more interesting. 4/10.

Free -
Remember
Not bad. Not captivated or anything but it's solid. 5/10.

Prince -
Purple Rain
I just realized I'm not that familiar with this song at all. I guess not so surprising as I'm not big on Prince. It's OK. At least there's strings. 5/10.

Steeleye Span -
All Things Are Quite Silent
I like the intro. Cool vocals. Now this is good harmony. I'm on board with this. 8/10.

I'm digging this. Kind of a laid-back Sour Girl vibe going on here. 7/10.

The Offspring -
The Kids Aren't Alright
It is one of my favorite Offspring songs. The Faculty soundtrack, represent! But I'm subtracting a point for popularity. 7/10.

Defiance, Ohio -
Oh, Susquehannah!
Oh hell yea. Like the mix of styles. What did they do with the bodies, man? 8/10.

Dag Nasty -
Never Go Back
It's good to have something aggressive for a change of pace here. Quite enjoyable. 7/10.

Johnny Shines -
Sweet Home Chicago
Well we got us some blues here. It ain't bad but it's not titillating. 5/10.

Talking Heads -
Memories Can't Wait
Cool song. Not too familiar with these guys but I like what I've heard. 7/10.

Scarlet Leaves -
Images of Memories
Not a bad ethereal listen, but sorta monotonous and long. 6/10.

Regina Spektor -
The Flowers
Minimalism goodness. Nice finale. 7/10.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -
Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere
One of my favorite Cave songs. I've been known to shed a tear to it here and there. 10/10.

Larry Lurex -
Goin' Back
A little bland methinks. Not feeling this one. 5/10.

I can guarantee my numbers Thursday afternoon but will try for tomorrow night. I ended up having a life over the weekend and for that I am deeply sorry, game master. I've punished myself accordingly.

1/10

Never cared for much singer-songwriter folksy stuff. This dude's no exception. But it's not pissing me off so there's that. Aside from that ever-familiar melody. Guess that pisses me off a little...

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories
6.5/10

Ayreon 4ever, every album. DO YOU RECALL THAT DAY? DO YOU? DID YOU EVER HAVE A FUCKING CHILDHOOD OR A GIRLFRIEND YOU MAGGOTS?!? Well, you should have made your own then. All the stories of Arjen are WONDERFUL. This track is arguably metal though so docking points.

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time
5/10

Classic, even if I've never cared for it much. Anyone else find it difficult to connect with MJ's more 'romantic' music since those trials? Whether shit's true or not? Yeah, I'll go there. Can't get the image of the boy in the striped pajamas out of my head. And now he's dead. Fucking great, this song made me think of pedophilia AND genocide. Still a classic.

Free - Remember
7/10

This was really cool and made me think of Ralph Bakshi movies. A car chugging along, bouncing a little, through psychadelic landscapes and lazy-eyed cartoons smiling with a hand to their cheek out the window. I fucking remember getting high a.f. just not giving a shit and calling off responsibility for a bad kid afternoon. Fuck the lyrics. That's what it's about.

Prince - Purple Rain
7.5/10

His most overrated song, let me just get that out the way. Still one of the best tracks in this list though, thematically and artistically. I took Prince's death slightly to heart. My mom bawled for two days and went to Paisley Park immediately after, it was kinda 'our' musician, along with my sister who passed away. Plus, remember Appolonia crying in the movie, that fucking bitch?

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent
6.5/10

Intriguing, feel like I've heard this band and meant to check them out. Really heavy on 70s aura, that marching lady voice back when people had a certain soft yet clear accent to their speaking. Great track.

5/10

I tried to get into this band once because Opeth and Storm Corrosion, but meh, totally hate his mainstay vocals and the uninspired songwriting. It's some cool riffing and rhythm, definitely craftsmanship, but that's about it. Not memorable, really, so it totally goes against the theme, ya dig? This is better than other tracks I've heard by them so I'll give it that.

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
8/10

Fucking yup. Smoking cigarettes in the back of the playground, giving a shit about anything that came up because it was worth it to care. This song will probably win if the forum has as many 90s kids as I think it does. Snowboarding and biking, going places we weren't supposed to, stealing parents' weed. Battles with the bible-thumper girl who was kinda cool but not allowed to leave her house and always passing judgement of who was going to hell, literally building catapults and launching rocks at eachother. Fuck. God. Damn. The. Fucking. Nostalgia. For the only place I lived almost a decade.

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah!
7/10

Another classic, and this from someone who really doesn't dig this kind of garbage. I'm not from Ohio but I'll bet if you are you dig this a lot and sing it when you drink too much with your fucking friends you used to do dumb shit with. You remember? You should cherish those memories if you have them. Remember shitty basement ska shows when it was cool to be filthy, and the goddamn drugs everywhere, and the everyone with some instrument or another.

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back
1/10

Gay. I always liked the name but the music sucks.

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago
2/10

I generically dig this genre and always enjoy hearing most of the artists associated with it but this track isn't much of a standout.

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait
6.5/10

Eerie, dissonant, pretty fucking solid even if his voice was totally predictable as soon as I heard that distorting music. Funny because I'd usually say o wow did someone step on a cat? I think I'm feeling nostalgic and kind this eve.

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories
4/10

Icy and layered, sad and electronic, would go really well in a video game. Running through a dungeon trying to save a princess before she dies. It's also rather monochromatic though, exacerbated by its length. While being extremely effective as ambience, that makes for a dull listen when I'm sitting here focused intently with a cheap cigarette in my mouth and a 'I'm changing my life' smoothie by my side.

Regina Spektor - The Flowers
5/10

People talk about this chick a lot. Nice voice. Piano is usually pretty fun and gives a piece of music that romantic sombreness but it did get repetitive here. The hava nagila bit was pretty cool and damn she really does have a great voice. I didn't really get a feeling of memories here, it has no personal appeal and is just another sad chick song, nothing special to me.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere
6/10

He's a good kid but he's done better. Sometimes I feel big names are just thrown in this game for the name. That's not a knock on whoever submitted this, I'm just saying. If it was my first time hearing the artist I wouldn't look into more.

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back
3/10

Yeahhhh buddy! Didn't know about this project. I know why though. I was all excited when I heard the vox but it fell flat. Audibly flat. I'm going back to the GOOD Freddie Mercury, thanks.