Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

My goal was to be as bizarre and surreal as possible. It looks like a number of people had the same idea.

This was all too weird to comment on plus I can't be bothered.

DEVO - Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA 9/10

Audio retardation.

Current 93 - The Seven Seals Are Revealed At The End Of Time As Seven Bows 8/10

Absurd? Ridiculous? Not so sure. Amazing though!

Procol Harum - Something Following Me 7/10

The Residents - N-er-gee (Crisis Blues) 7/10

Theme perfecto. Great band.

Tom Waits - Everything You Can Think Of Is True 8/10

The new Six feet Under album?

The B-52's - 52 Girls 5/10

To me this doesn't fit the theme, even lyrically. Maybe I'm missing something. Love this band though.

Gang Starr - Above The Clouds 9/10

Just the act of cramming this in the mix is absurd enough to me. Amazing beat man, DJ Premier was godly.

Melt-Banana - Shield For Your Eyes, A Beast In The Well On Your Hand 6.5/10

Eminem - 3 A.M. 5.5/10

Fuck whoever forced me to listen to this. Thematic lyrics though.

Captain Beefheart - Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish 10/10

Gold. Retarded fucking gold.

Steve Vai - Little Green Men 6.5/10

Mr. Bungle - Desert Search For Techno Allah 6/10
I have no idea what's going on.

Radiohead - Idioteque 6/10

Samwell - What What (In The Butt) 5/10

Sopor Aeternus - The Urine Song 5.5/10

Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat - Argonaut And Magneto 7/10
This was an interesting experience.

I was going to submit a PJ Harvey track because I find some of her lyrics to be absurd but it doesn't really fit musically as much as the stuff on this playlist.

I prefer the picks that aren't musically absurd or ridiculous because those songs tend to suck. Yeah, I'm going to downrate everything on this playlist.

Devo - Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA 7/10
Definitely ridiculous. Those vocals. Is he talking about a potatoes? and tomatoes? Man... I'm hungry. Ha, I really feel like I'm in space... sorta. What a strange track.

Current 93 - The Seven Seals are Revealed at the End of Time As Seven Bows 8.5/10
A lot of talking here. My ADHD is not allowing me to pay attention to the lyrics. I'm thinking the vocals are a little low. Like it seems like they are trying to concentrate on them, but his accent and tone makes it hard to pick up every word he's saying. Whoa! I just started watching the video and it's intense. Ok... if this track wasnt 13 minutes I would replay it with the video. This grew on me. Admittedly I was bored in the beginning, but it builds up and now the music towards the end appears a lot louder to me. Idk if it is, or if I'm just understanding it more. The little piece in the end "goodbye to you" that simple little guitar piece is really beautiful.

Procol Harum - Something Following Me 6/10
This piece ain't that weird! It's cool though.

The Residents - N-Er-Gee 7/10
This sounds like me when I'm playing on my keyboards, just straight up banging on it like I'm tone death. This was a mindfuck. Really unexpecting musical arrangements. It has a charm to it though. My brain is naturally making cartoon pictures and movements... like those old school bugs bunny or woody wood pecker? Yeah. This is perfect for that.

Tom Waits - Everything You Can Think of Is True 5/10
:lol: This reminds me of like a talking dog or something.

The B-52s - 52 Girls 6/10
I pulled up the lyrics, and I don't get them so I suppose that's part of the ridiculousness? They are just naming girls names and asking if you can name them? Idk. It's not the weirdest track here, but I think it's pretty decent.

GangStarr - Above the Cloud 6/10
Was hoping for something like this in the non-metal game. I'm picky with rap I really like the old school gritty/dirty rap but this is OK. Again, sometimes its hard for me to pay attention to lyrics unless something really pulls me in. I'm having that issue here too. I'll have to come back to this, when I'm in a different more focused mood.

Melt-Banana - Shield Your Eyes, A Beast in the Well On Your Hand 7/10
Man this band always reminds me of like... PowerPuff girls or something. I think the vocalist sounds like them. I always like specfic parts of this band... like when they speed up. They are fun to see live though.

Eminem - 3 A.M. 5/10
Is it me or does his vocals sound unlike him here? Also, I don't see how this is weird or ridiculous sounds like he's talking about killing someone. Not his best material, but it's not awful.

Captain Beefheart - Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish 7/10
That ended quickly. I think this would work in a context of an album. I played this twice to understand but yeah, no understanding this. It sounds like some guy just talking and saying whatever comes to his mind. You know when you were a kid and you tried to figure out what rhymes with what so you say a bunch of words that almost go together? Idk. I'm tired.

Steve Vai - Little Green Men 6/10
Lol, I just have nothing to say. It's kind of cute, i guess.

Mr. Bungle - Desert Search for Techno Allah 8/10
Oddly Middle Eastern sounding, while sounding weird as all fuck.

Radiohead - Idioteque 7.5/10
I didn't mind this, his voice is kinda nice. Sounds like beat boxing too. Cool song, not as weird as some of the other ones but...

Samwell - What What (In the Butt) 4/10
Lol. This is every teachers nightmare. One of those songs the kids just keep on singing and singing and singing and singing. Funny choice. He has a really creepy smile. And him eating the chocolate heart... okay, i think i've seen it all and should go to bed.

Sopor Aeternus - The Urine Song 5/10
Dear lawd, the title. The lyrics are just funny. "precious gold" Alright.... precious. sure.

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - Argonaut and Magneto 8/10
"Green green grass, gray gray house!"

DEVO - Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
Weird, but somehow it works, unlike 90% of the shit on this list.
8/10

Current 93 - David Tibet is Revealed at the End of Time as a Pretentious Cunt
Fuck this. I am not sitting through all 93 minutes of this.
0/10

Procol Harum - Something Following Me
Love that this has a coherent and absurd narrative instead of just being random nonsense. Really great song, haven't listened to any of their albums but I guess they have more going for them than just "A Whiter Shade...".
8/10

The Residents - N-er-gee (Crisis Blues)
Random nonsense and not even inspired nonsense. Nowhere in all 10 fucking minutes of this were there any sounds that remotely intrigued me. If you think this is good music I have a folder full of experimental electronic music I made when I was 15 that'll blow your mind.
1/10

Tom Waits - Everything You Can Think Of Is True

This is the best Tom Waits song I've ever heard.
6/10

The B-52's - 52 Girls
At first I thought this song was about female american pop culture icons of the past, but on second thought I'm actually not sure if any of these names besides Jackie-O are strongly associated with a particular celebrity. Maybe there is no meaning to it, maybe they are just random words that would sing well. So I'm not sure what the angle is here or how it's supposed to fit the theme but it is a really fun song.
6/10

GangStarr - Above the Clouds
5/10

Melt-Banana - Shield for Your Eyes, a Beast in the Well on Your Hand
9/10

Eminem - 3 A.M.
4/10

Captain Beefheart - Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish
I'd like this about two points more if it was instrumental.
5/10

Steve Vai - Little Green Men
Appreciate the use of unconventional instrumentation such as vacuum cleaners and Geddy Lee
2/10

Mr. Bungle - Desert Search for Techno Allah
Pretty dumb but there were some interesting passages.
7/10

Radiohead - Idioteque
I would've gone with "Everything in Its Right Place" if I was picking Radiohead for this theme. Not that this is a bad pick or anything, almost all of Kid A would qualify.
8/10

Samwell - What What (In the Butt)
2/10

Sopor Aeternus - The Urine Song
2/10

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - Argonaut and Magneto
6/10

Last edited:
DEVO - Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
I kind of have a soft spot for Devo. Mark Mothersbaugh is an interesting character. -- 8/10

Current 93 - The Seven Seals are Revealed at the End of Time as Seven Bows
Whoever submitted this is a sexy person. I love C93, David Tibet, Durtro...the whole goddamn thing. This particular track has a Nurse With Wound ambiance -- 8.5/10

Procol Harum - Something Following Me
Groovy -- 7.5/10

The Residents - N-er-gee (Crisis Blues)
Jingle jangly pianos always get to me. There's so much going on in this song. It definitely fits the theme -- 9/10

Tom Waits - Everything You Can Think Of Is True
Ah the obligatory Tom Waits tune. He sounds like a cartoon character here. -- 7/10

The B-52's - 52 Girls
eh. I like The B-52's, but this isn't a favorite by them -- 5/10

GangStarr - Above the clouds
Good beats. Not gonna lie, this isn't bad -- 6/10

Melt-Banana - Shield For Your Eyes, A Beast In The Well On Your Hand
Yup. Wouldn't be an absurd list without Melt Banana. Good stuff -- 8/10

Eminem -3 A.M.
I'm surprised it took this long to get some rap and hip-hop on a list. Love the Silence of the Lambs reference haha --4/10

Captain Beefheart - Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish
Another obligatory artist. This is actually one of the more Captain Beefheart songs -- 7.5/10

Steve Vai - Little green men
Pretty fun -- 5.5/10

Mr. Bungle - Desert search for Techno Allah
Mike Patton is a vocal god in my mind. What he does with his voice is nuts. I always thought Mr Bungle was his best band, along with Faith No More -- 9/10

Radiohead - Idioteque
Not bad. Different than what I would expect from Radiohead. -- 6/10

Samwell - "What What (In the Butt)
I always sing this song around the house ahaha. I seriously hope arg picked this -- 6/10

sopor aeternus -the urine song
Seems fitting to follow the Samwell song. The beat is kind of cool. Vocals have almost a Danny Elfman vibe to them -- 7/10

Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat - Argonaut And Magneto
Cool song. Nice way to end the playlist -- 7.5/10

I have a feeling I'm going to be probably the most generous rater for this round. I love absurd music, so it shows

Devo - Devo rarely did wrong. Always entertaining, a bit bizarre and catchy as fuck, they had more ridiculous songs than this tho, including their biggest hit 'Whip it' Whoever choose this did not think hard enough 7/10

Current 93 - Neither R or S 1/10 that's just rubbish arty wannabe wank

Procol Harum - Ironic not surreal but hardly either, a great tune nonetheless 7/10

The Residents - thee residents always bored me and this aint R or S either....where's the fucked up tunes?? 2/10

Tom Waits - Most of what this man does has a slight surreal atmosphere about it. Love to know exactly how much of what he writes actually ends up as it sounds on his records. Typically classy Waits...6.5/10

The B52' - About time thy purchased this. 8/10 Not exactly R or S tho so docking one each.....7/10

GangStarr - oH No some samples and rap......choice choice of samples and the beat is good, the bass ....hang on....where's the bass? oh it's over there...nnnngggh where's the variety?? 4/10

Melt-Banana - i'd probably enjoy a gig by this band but l doubt if i'd buy it yknow 5/10

Eminem - 2/10 shizenhausen

Captain Beefheart - Most original , ridiculous and surreal by far ...the fantabulous don van viet 10/10

Steve Vai - Zappa prodigee Vai sounding like Zappa and more 8/10

Mr Bungle - starts of shitty but improves drastically...this ain't bad..oh it just got crappy again... yeah...uh ...always enjoyed the cinematography persuasion 6.5/10

Radiohead - put a hell of reverb and some other tasty effects and you've got climbing up walls yeah? l sort of think Radiohead went a bit shit after or during this...5/10

Samwell - Again neither R or S just in my butt 0/10

Sopor Aeternus - ugh l listen to metal because of shit like this3/10 it's not surreal and its defo not trying to be R....it's just trying too hard

K T A O A B C - you bastard who ever picked ytis .....Morrison Vibe....it's got that never give up button 8/10 oh yeah l must dock a point for insolence...

Last edited: