Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

This playlist
d_2634.jpg

Me

You submitted a song though. So you must rate.

b0c604b88bdc11d682f75043f759df51046fa64aa30053d2c04519d00225cb2e.jpg

Metallica - Mama Said
6/10

Pink Floyd - Matilda Mother
8/10

Swans - Mother Of The World
9/10
That repetitive riff in the first half ultimately wins in the end, because, with the accompanying breathing works in harmony to simulate the visceral experience of giving birth. Therefore, the more subdued second half can be heard as the aftermath.

Lightnin' Hopkins - Coffee For Mama
5/10
Just sounds like any other blues song.

Subhumans - Somebody's Mother
8/10

Sufjan Stevens - Fourth Of July
4.5/10
Fairly insipid.

Birth Control - Believe In The Pill
7.5/10

Nat King Cole - My Mother Told Me
5.5/10

Puscifer - Momma Sed
6/10

Olivia Hussey - Ave Maria
6/10

Eloy - Incarnation Of The Logos
8.5/10
5/4 meter

O'Death - Angeline
7/10
I'm all for gothic country, but this song has a certain twee indie vibe woven into it, which drags it down a bit.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Points for obscurity on "Matilda Mother" (relatively speaking), but Floyd's "Mother" (from The Wall) is so much better. I never was a big Syd fan.

Agreed. There is a decent chunk of people out there that regard Syd as the peak of psychedelic music, I've never really understood the appeal. I mean, he's okay, but in many ways he's just a more obscure (and thus by extension more appealing to music nerds/hipstery types) version of Donovan.

that's the album that made me doubt my first impressions of literally everything ever, 'cause on first listen i found it overwrought to hell, and by the fifth it was my favourite album of all time.

Reactions: CiG
Agreed. There is a decent chunk of people out there that regard Syd as the peak of psychedelic music, I've never really understood the appeal. I mean, he's okay, but in many ways he's just a more obscure (and thus by extension more appealing to music nerds/hipstery types) version of Donovan.

At least Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd material aged better than Syd Barrett himself.

Eloy - Incarnation Of The Logos 8.3 @Vegard Pompey
Subhumans - Somebody's Mother 7.6 @Internally Deformed
Birth Control - Believe In The Pill 7.2 @HamburgerBoy
Olivia Hussey - Ave Maria 6.9 (the fucking irony) @arg
O'Death - Angeline 6.6 @dwellerINTHEdark
Pink Floyd - Matilda Mother 6.4 @Sirjack
Swans - Mother Of The World 6.2 @Serjeant Grumbles
Lightnin' Hopkins - Coffee For Mama 6 @Funerary_Doom
Metallica - Mama Said 5.7 @Satanstoenail
Nat King Cole - My Mother Told Me 5.5 @Baroque
Sufjan Stevens - Fourth Of July 5.4 @no country for old wainds
Puscifer - Momma Sed 5.4 @Carpe Mortem

@Vegard Pompey wins. He had my favourite submission personally, so double congratulations I guess.

giphy.gif

I was hoping for last. Disappointed. Then again I should have probably given my pick a zero. 0/10 for effort. Will not troll again.

The new theme is UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. To clarify, I don't mean "songs by American bands" I mean "songs about the US". Songs can be about a specific state or city, doesn't have to be the whole nation.

EDIT: No New World Symphony plz, yes it's the best thing ever but we've all heard it and it's 40 minutes long

Last edited: