fuck punk

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam - 3
stop yammering woman

Skeleton Crew - We're Still Free - 3
strange

Frank Black - Los Angeles - 6
grungey shit with some ok parts

Tommy Emmanuel - Lewis & Clark 6.5/10
Metrosexual Aussie dad wanks around on guitar part 1. Shame there weren't any accompanying lyrics because the Lewis and Clark expedition is interesting stuff.

Team America - America, Fuck Yeah 7/10
It's difficult for me to downvote this troll choice, because I actually love ridiculously patriotic American songs for how over the top they always are, also I'm a lifelong Matt and Trey fanboy. "Fake tits! Fuck yeah! Sushi! Fuck yeah! Taco Bell! Fuck yeah!"

Ted Nugent - The Star Spangled Banner 2/10
I like Ted, but meh.

Tori Amos - Virginia 4/10
I've never understood her appeal. Her voice is very overrated.

Chuck Berry - Back In The U.S.A. 7.5/10
Ridiculously classic tune!

Johnny Winter - Dallas 8/10
"There's so much shit in Texas, you're bound to step in some."

Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles 7.5/10
Another classic tune, never been a huge fan of Dead Kennedys or anything but when they're good they're really good.

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam 7/10
I love Nina Simone. Not one of her best tunes though in terms of performance.

Skeleton Crew - We're Still Free 7.5/10
This was very interesting, if I'm not mistaken that sample was a Ronald Reagan speech? Cool, need to follow up on this band for sure.

Frank Black - Los Angeles 6/10
Haven't heard this song in friggin ages. Wasn't this on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or something? It's okay.

hulk-hogan-american-flag-copy.jpg

Somewhat disappointing playlist, this theme had potential. I'm not even very satisfied with my own pick. It was a rushed submission because I spent so long looking for a metal pick in confusion. Gah.

Last edited:
Tommy Emanuel - Lewis & Clark
I remember this guy from children's tv here when I was a kid. Nicely played. 6/10

Team America - America, Fuck Yeah

FUCK YEAH 7/10

Ted Nugent - The Star Spangled Banner

FUCK OFF 2/10

Virginia - Tori Amos

Not a fan of her really but this is nice enough 6/10

Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.

Cool 7/10

Johnny Winter - Dallas

Good but nothing remarkable 5/10

Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles

Classic DK 10/10

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam

I like some of her songs. This isn't one of them 4/10

Skeleton Crew - We're Still Free

I know Fred Frith from Naked City, and like Naked City this is interesting weirdo NYC experimental stuff. 7/10

Frank Black - Los Angeles

Not a fan of much of his solo stuff that I've heard, but this rules. Clip is awesome also. Shame about the sound quality. 9/10

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Tommy Emmanuel, Lewis & Clark - 7/10, This man's melodic sensibilities on the acoustic guitar never cease to amaze me. Delicate and flaring at once. Great use of basic chord shapes to create such fluid, continuity strong melodies, beautiful arpeggios, and a sweet, tender yet precise right hand. Not quite atmospherically epic enough to do the Lewis and Clark expeditions justice, but certainly nothing that could be construed as a weak attempt. Thematic.

Team America, Fuck Yeah - 5/10, Matt and Trey are frigging comedic geniuses, but this definitely isn't among their wittiest of commentaries. Then again, it's likely not meant to be, moreso it's just a balls to the wall batshit, goofball satire tune. Gotta love the pseudo-serious choral intro, then how it spirals into the instrumental archetype one might associate with a more mainstream 80's (probably Schwarzenegger) action flick. Which I dig. Ha, it even features a scene from Commando. I love how the response end of the antiphony goes silent on books and sportsmanship. Thematic.

Ted Nugent, The Star-Spangled Banner/Gonzo - 8.5/10, Firstly, I'd like to proffer that you're all raging autists for downrating this so extensively. Yeah, I know the sound quality isn't the most pristine, but boo fucking hoo, this is rock and roll you pusscakes. Standard Ted Nugent live intro, where you only know he's coming out some time during Street Fighting Man's playtime, but are never provided an exact entrance time. Which makes it all the better when you hear that wobbling, vibrato-laden feedback start to distantly whir from that Gibson Byrdland. Then of course Ted barrels onstage wielding the fucker like a weapon, often shouting profanity-riddled slogans and exclamations. And once Ted has finished his patriotic verbal deliberations for the moment, he of course launches into the American national anthem. He soars into with his customary pentatonic flourishes, hammer-on/pull-offs, and sweep pick chord playing, with a liberal application of wah-wah, because it just wouldn't be American enough without it. Then he blares into Gonzo, a rocker with a chord progression and groove combo so vicious, it rips the dongs off of any man not virile enough. It also gives a thorough showcase of Ted's mastery of blues rock guitar soloing. George Washington wishes he was this American. Thematic.

Tori Amos, Virginia - 5/10, Quite an intriguing, soft timbre and voice. Not the best singer, but she certainly has a unique sound. The background instrumentation is nice, particularly the piano and bass guitar strains, but it's admittedly a little mundane and antiseptic for my tastes. Soft and sweet, but airing on the side of banal and immemorial too. Thematic.

Chuck Berry, Back In The U.S.A. - 8/10, Ah, now here we go. Classic Chuck Berry riffage, tight ass jazz percussion and bass. Chuck crooning nostagically about the homeland, and I presume Johnnie Johnson tinkling the ivory, and one of the few tracks where I've heard Chuck with a choral backing. Thematic.

Johnny Winter, Dallas - 8.5/10, Johnny pulling out some acoustic slide work, a welcome change of pace from his searingly epic, electric blues monsoons. He just captured the vintage Delta sound so effortlessly, it's awe-inspiring, and just goes to show how strongly music can connect you even if it's not from your ethnic heritage. Wailing, howling, strangled slides, great picking, and excellent variation of standard blues progressions. There's a reason Muddy Waters considered him a long lost cousin. Thematic.

Dead Kennedys, California Über Alles - 8.5/10, Tribal drumming, menacing surf rock licks from East Bay Ray and angry, mocking chants from Jello. The bass in this song is superlative, pumps it along like a well-oiled gear chain, albeit with more political enragement and punk rock angst. Hectic, psychotic, diabolical-sounding and manic, just like the Jerry Brown presidency they describe. Thematic.

Nina Simone, Mississippi Goddam - 7/10, Nina's narration at the start is so distant, and unfeeling it's hard to enjoy. Once she starts singing it gets so much better though. Jazzy, broadway, cabaret-ish piano, steam train-like rhythm, and panicked, mournful croons from Nina, coupled with clever lyrics. She's kind of like Jim Morrison, you just know it's her the moment she opens her pipes. Thematic.

Skeleton Crew, We're Still Free - 5.5/10, Wasn't expecting the fiddle at the outset. It's folkish and classical all at once. I was expecting that percussive drop even less, now this is different. Is that a bass guitar and a drum machine? Accented guy starts rapping/singing in this cooly mechanical way, though he keeps repeating the same lyrical mantra over and over, that may be the point though. Thematic.

Frank Black, Los Angeles - 5/10, It starts out with what it might sound like if an Iggy Pop ballad and a Tom Waits ballad produced musical offspring. Interesting. Then it goes into this alt-metal sort of spin, which kinda disqualifies it. Though it might be a more metallic form of grunge, so perhaps not. Didn't get much out of it, but far from the worst song out there. Thematic.

Well, that's all folks, god bless America.

image.jpg

It wasn't a creative or interesting choice. That's why I rated it low.
What wasn't creative about it, aside from it being the national anthem? Uncreative would've been springing for the 1969 Jimi Hendrix Woodstock performance or one of Slash's numerous renditions if you ask me. I might've gone for the Yngwie Malmsteen version, but I felt it could considered metal with how he plays it, and the Ace Frehley and Metallica versions, while not bad, are kinda basic. I also felt the more traditional or orchestral arrangements while great, would've made for the laziest choice of all. Thusly, I felt Ted's musically unique spin, paired with his live opener Gonzo in a medley, was different enough to make it a valid choice. Maybe I'm wrong or full of shit, but I thought it was relatively original.

H.P l know you play geetar and l know you know l do...Nugent is a sloppy feedback king is all.
l love his older stuff but it was never groundbreaking or particularly brilliant. He can never rival the Gods of his day.

H.P l know you play geetar and l know you know l do...Nugent is a sloppy feedback king is all.
l love his older stuff but it was never groundbreaking or particularly brilliant. He can never rival the Gods of his day.
Sloppy feedback king? Quit bullshitting yourself. Jimmy Page is what you call sloppy, but he's even better than Ted. Ted is anything but sloppy in his playing, practically shits good guitar licks and riffs, has one the smoothest right hands I've ever seen, and understands groove and swinging better than most. And speaking of feedback, do you know how hard it is to get an early 60's vintage Byrdland hollow body to feedback like that, and then control it properly?

uh mate, l don't intend to fall out over music and that's a decent clip but,,,
Proved my point ....plays chords, a few licks,,,rudimental stuff..there's nothing special or new that Ted did. It's alright.
nothing more

uh mate, l don't intend to fall out over music and that's a decent clip but,,,
Proved my point ....plays chords, a few licks,,,rudimental stuff..there's nothing special or new that Ted did. It's alright.
nothing more
It's not so much what he's playing but how he's playing it and what he's doing with it. Little Richard's piano work is rudiments, there wasn't much "new" about the notes he was playing, but look what he did with those rudiments, and the way he played them, that's what what made it special. Watch his picking hand, and listen to the phrasing and dynamics he injects.

Tommy Emanuel - Lewis & Clark
6.5/10

Team America - America, Fuck Yeah
6.5/10
Demerits for not muting the clips used for the video.

Ted Nugent - The Star Spangled Banner
6/10
Points for not being 9 whole minutes of nothing but variations on the Star-Spangled Banner, like I worried it would be.

Virginia - Tori Amos
7.5/10

Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.
5.5/10

Johnny Winter - Dallas
6/10

Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles
9/10
Fun fact: I once mistook the line "Your kids will meditate in school" for "your kids will never date in school," which doesn't really make sense when you're trying to paint the picture of a hippie dictatorship.

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam
5/10

Skeleton Crew - We're Still Free
8/10

Frank Black - Los Angeles
8/10

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Maybe my choice of words were incorrect, lm saying that in the world of geetar masters he's over-rated. It could of course be just me. He never really turned me on the way some of the 70's Gods did.