Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Tom Lehrer - The Masochism Tango
shrug 3/10

Sopor Aeternus - Powder

i'd rather drink hamburgerboy's urine than listen to this again. 1/10

Leonard Cohen - Master Song

i've never really considered him to be the towering intellect that others often do, but what he did do during this period was arrange his songs beautifully and palpably evoke place, thought, feeling. you're always in his shoes. this one may be his most mesmerising, every little decision made compositionally is absolutely spot on. 99% of other singer/songwriters would overdo this in some way and break the spell. 10/10

The Crystals - He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)
always loved this one, occupies the mind of its narrator so damn perfectly. i know it's spector and everything, but people who criticise this as unintentionally creepy/unsettling are dumb if you ask me. 9/10

Frenic - Punish Me
7/10

Ghostlight Orchestra - Just
5/10

Dokuro-chan Opening

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan tells the story of 13-year-old junior high schooler Sakura Kusakabe, who twenty years in the future develops a technology that causes all women to stop physically aging after they reach twelve years old in an attempt to create a "Pedophile's World". please tell me he's the bad guy.

maybe i'd like this show as i've heard it compared to FLCL. don't give a shit about the theme though, maybe i'd bump it a little if the youtube wasn't so quiet. 3/10

Die Form - The Hidden Cage

something a bit otherworldly and disquieting about this that i like. possibly just that it feels so dated, can imagine finding the cassette in the basement next to photos of the previous owner's murder victims. 8/10

The Devil's Blood - I'll Be Your Ghost

too groovy and palatable for my tastes, it'd barely sound out of place on the soundtrack for fifa or something, but the vocal melodies are catchy. 6/10

Wishbone Ash - Queen of Torture

there was a time when i liked this album best, but these days it can sound a little loose and basic and jammy, even if it has a gorgeous core sound at times. best part here is the lead melody that opens it and repeats in the middle, otherwise i'd rather just listen to flower travellin' band or w/e. edit: bumping this a bit, i just love the lead guitar sound in general. 8/10

definitely one of the weirder playlists we've had, i'll give you that.

Last edited:

4/10

This is just slightly amusing.

Sopor Aeternus - Powder

1/10

I don't like this at all.

9/10

Great.

The Crystals - He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)

8/10

I made my wife listen to this too since she likes Lana Del Rey. She liked it.

Frenic - Punish Me

5/10

It's not super interesting.

5/10

It's also not super interesting.

Dokuro-chan Opening

1/10

:erk:

7/10

This is cool.

5/10

Nice singer but the song itself isn't that good.

9/10

Awesome. I love Wishbone Ash.

Didn't submit but I shall join in on the efforts to resuscitate this game.

6/10

Sopor Aeternus - Powder

'Sopor' is Swedish for 'garbage' (plural), and that's pretty much how I feel about this band. Who keeps submitting this shit?
2/10

Probably wouldn't rate this very high if I was hearing it for the first time. It's just one of those songs that make more and more sense every time I hear it.
10/10

The Crystals - He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)
9/10

Frenic - Punish Me
3/10

6/10

Dokuro-chan Opening
8/10

7/10

7/10

9/10

5/10

Sopor Aeternus - Powder
5/10

8/10 (huh, a leonard cohen song that isn't super boring)

The Crystals - He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)
6/10

Frenic - Punish Me
6/10

8/10 (really liked this, probably not the biggest surprise tbh)

Dokuro-chan Opening
4/10

6/10

7/10 not their best song, but really catchy
on a completely unrelated note, god did they kill it at MDF in 2012 were it not for saint vitus they would have been the best band there

6/10
can recognize it as good, just don't really care for it