Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Meh. I don't care about how you feel.

If you associate patriotism with things that aren't patriotic and then hate patriotism based on the strawman you've created, you're an idiot. There are genuine criticisms of patriotism that I've seen before, this isn't among them.

Short ratings because I'm in a rush:

Tommy Emanuel - Lewis and Clarke 7/10
I like his style.

Team America - America, Fuck Yeah 2/10
This shit is played out.

Ted Nugent - Star Spangled Banner 2/10
He's clearly a good guitarist but his voice is annoying and it was so much fancy work not enough feeling. I'm bored

Tori Amos - Virginia 6/10
I like Tori Amos actually. Her voice is cool. This song doesn't change much but it's okay.

Chuck Berry- Back in the USA 5/10
Not bad. Cool piano parts

Johnny Winter - Dallas 6/10
Better. Cool voice

Dead Kennedys- California Uber Alles 7/10

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddamn 7/10
Her voice

Skeleton Crew- We're Still Free 5/10
Idk

Frank Black -Los Angeles 6/10
The video is fuckig strange. The song is Ok

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
Tommy Emanuel - Lewis & Clark
inoffensive. 6/10

Team America - America, Fuck Yeah

lazy pick, played out and far from being the funniest part of that movie anyway. 4/10

Ted Nugent - The Star Spangled Banner

10 points for being the most american thing on the list. -8 points for being the most american thing on the list. 2/10

Tori Amos - Virginia
unexpectedly builds something quite wild, lyrical and haunting upon what initially seems like generic '90s fare. 7.5/10

Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.

not one of my favorites from this era. 5.5/10

Johnny Winter - Dallas

love that slide guitar. cool vibe. 7/10

Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles

a classic of course. maybe i'd like them even more if i didn't spend my teenage years worshipping the offspring's debut lol, lots of DK influence going on there. 8/10

Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam

nina at her most angry and defiant. what a striking woman she was, unbelievable presence. i ain't 'BOUT to be non-violent honey! fucking badass. 10/10

Skeleton Crew - We're Still Free

cool. reminds me of this heat a bit but i probably like this better actually. 7.5/10

Frank Black - Los Angeles

the slower parts probably originated as a pixies outtake and they're just sort of tacked on here, leaving no impression. the rest is good but it doesn't feel like a proper song as a whole, which is something you could say about a lot of pixies stuff even when their sound was so fresh that it didn't matter so much. they worked better in album form, maybe his solo stuff does too. 7/10

The winner is @Serjeant Grumbles with Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles!

@Serjeant Grumbles - Dead Kennedys (7.73)
@CASSETTEISGOD - Johnny Winter (6.59)
@no country for old wainds - Nina Simone (6.55)
@dwellerINTHEdark - Tori Amos (6.45)
@HamburgerBoy - Skeleton Crew (6.41)
@Elric of Melniboné - Chuck Berry (6.32)
@Satanstoenail - Frank Black (6.18)
@Funerary_Doom - Tommy Emanuel (6.09)
@arg - Team America (5.41)
@H.P. Lovecraft - Ted Nugent (3.59)

Don't have time to rate myself atm so I'll just say the winner was deserving, Nina Simone tune was awesome, Frank Black was a 10/10 and fuck Ted Nugent.

I've given the first two albums cursory listens and my first impression was very positive. I keep meaning to listen to them more but I'm just never in the mood for anything that isn't metal or prog rock nowadays. I like this Frank Black more than any Pixies song I've heard though. It really captures in some off-kilter way the near-mythical status LA has for me as someone who's never been there, and the slow part at the end reminds me of my second-favorite mopey alt rock band Grandaddy.

I recently bought the first Frank Black album because of Los Angeles but the rest of it hasn't grabbed me at all so far. I need to give it a proper listen though.

First two Pixies albums are genius.

i have no informed opinion on nugent, but a vid of him wanking his guitar and playing the national anthem among other things with crappy sound quality was never gonna pique my interest tbf

Yeah, I'll be honest, it was a stupid pick on my part. Should've gone with Pony Express, better quality, better songcraft, a better riff, etc. A cool organ solo too, and still American as all hell. Tell me you wouldn't have rated this at least decently:

Yeah, I'll be honest, it was a stupid pick on my part. Should've gone with Pony Express, better quality, better songcraft, a better riff, etc. A cool organ solo too, and still American as all hell. Tell me you wouldn't have rated this at least decently:

This is cool.