Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Baroque and arg
Was bored so I decided to recap this game like I did the other one.

History:

Round #1: Love
Winner: EspaDa with Swans – Miracle of Love

Round #2: Hate
Winner: Omni with Queen – Death on Two Legs

Round #3: Time
Winner: no country with Joy Division – Twenty Four Hours

Round #4: Dreams & Nightmares
Winner: Vegard Pompey with May Blitz – Dreaming

Round #5: Death
Winner: EspaDa with Hüsker Dü – Pink Turns to Blue

Round #6: Burden
Winner: Vegard Pompey with Wishbone Ash – Throw Down the Sword

Round #7: Reminiscence
Winner: Satanstoenail with Talking Heads – Memories Can't Wait

Round #8: Ridiculousness and Absurdity
Winner: CASSETTEISGOD with DEVO – Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA

Round #9: Mythical Beasts
Winner: Funerary_Doom with Roky Erickson – Night of the Vampire

Round #10: Childhood
Winner: Vegard Pompey with Nozomi Aoki – Longing (Mother in My Mind – Blue Earth)

Round #11: Ocean
Winner: HamburgerBoy with Townes van Zandt – Silver Ships of Andilar

Round #12: Exhaustion
Winner: CASSETTEISGOD with Siouxsie and the Banshees – Suburban Relapse

Round #13: Motherhood
Winner: Vegard Pompey with Eloy – Incarnation of the Logos

Round #14: United States of America
Winner: Serjeant Grumbles with Dead Kennedys – California Über Alles

Round #15: BDSM
Winner: Sirjack with Wishbone Ash – Queen of Torture

Round #16: Food
Winner: Vegard Pompey with John Grant – Marz

Round #17: Confusion
Winner: Funerary_Doom with Tim Buckley – Hallucinations

Round #18: Mistakes
Winner: Talos of Atmora with Stevie Wonder – Blame it on the Sun

Round #19: Panic
Winner: Serjeant Grumbles with Bauhaus – Nerves

Round #20: Occultism
Winner: Vegard Pompey with Deep Purple – Listen, Learn, Read On

High score:

Vegard Pompey – 6
CASSETTEISGOD – 2
EspaDa – 2
Funerary_Doom – 2
Serjeant Grumbles – 2
HamburgerBoy – 1
no country for old wainds – 1
Omni – 1
Satanstoenail – 1
Sirjack – 1
Talos of Atmora – 1

(you guys suck)

The general rule of thumb for this thread seems to be that the 70s >> everything else (unless it's early 80s post-punk).

That would explain why I win so much. "70s >> everything else" basically sums up my preferences in non-metal.

Since this is my first time, I'll warn that my base rating is five and tens are rare.

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!
(7)
Hmm... it fits the theme to a t, and it's the first on the list. Vegard's pick? A point for positive energy, and another for the creative way the samples are worked into the song structure.

P.E.P.E. -
Shadilay (4)
Groovy melody, but I have to dock a point for the sterile pop style. This song would fit perfectly inside a plastic Barbie doll box.

Last Flight Out -
Plus One (2)
Minus one for the pop as before. Minus another two for the cookie-cutter ballad lyrics. Since it's my least favorite on the list, and has a video, I'll assume it's Aug's pick.

Pere Ubu -
30 Seconds Over Tokyo (7)
It's funny how these lyrics would fit perfectly in a Maiden song. WW2's not a theme I'd immediately associate with Pere Ubu's style. Their style's also not one that appeals to me too much, but it's interesting for sure, and I'll grant that this one's dark enough for a war song.

The Gathering -
Liberty Bell (8)
Don't know the group, but this song rocks. The thwacking helicopter effect is a nice touch. A number of fun instrumental ideas layered in here, and nice vocals too.

Hot Snakes -
LAX (5)
I'd give this song a point for rocking too, but the shortness and simplicity averages it out. I know short, simple punk songs can be awesome, but this one doesn't grab me.

Egypt -
Touch Ground
This is metal. Shouldn't be on the list, so I'm not gonna rate it.

Catherine Faber -
Providence Skies (6)
A point for lyrics, but that's all I can give for cookie-cutter Celtic folk.

The Lillingtons -
Black Hole in My Mind (7)
Aggressive riffage, angsty vocals... this kind of punk I can get behind. Repetitiveness is my main complaint.

Air -
Seven Stars (8)
One of the few artists here that I really listen to. Hadn't heard this song before. Slow start, but certainly trippy enough to take me for a ride. Maybe this is what Hawkwind should have become by the 90s.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer -
Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression (8)
Epic, as would be expected by ELP, though I agree with the previous "wonky and meandering" criticism. Beautiful lyrics, even more so for the chronological structure at the beginning. A bit dated, but hey, so is Star Wars.

John Murphy -
Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor) (5)
Probably dweller's pick, considering how odd it is to give such a standard soundtrack piece the one 10 out of everything. I don't dislike it, but nothing about it stands out from the usual soundtrack formula as far as I can tell.

Public Service Broadcasting - Go! - 7 quite pleasant but i was waiting the whole time for them to start singing instead of just playing over old recordings
P.E.P.E. - Shadilay - 7 the fuck is he saying, cool song though
Last Flight Out - Plus One - 10 awesome, such impressive vocal harmonies, hot girls too. and what a climax
Pere Ubu - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo - 3 dont understand what this is
The Gathering - Liberty Bell - 6 some good melodies in there but a bit noisy at times and mixing could be better
Hot Snakes - LAX - 6 not bad but vocals somewhat obnoxious
Egypt - Touch Ground - 5 long and not very interesting
Catherine Faber - Providence Skies - 7 pretty unique wish it actually went somewhere
The Lillingtons - Black Hole in My Mind - 6
Air - Seven Stars - 5 another one of these weird avant-garde type things
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression - 5 so much strange music in these non-metal playlists
John Murphy - Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor) - 9 beautiful

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Public Service Broadcasting - Go!
6/10

Quirky little song, very cute, very hilarious. It'll be stuck in my head for sure and it's on theme as hell. A very respectable choice.

P.E.P.E. - Shadilay
4/10

Bouncy. Predictable. Repeatable. You don't trick me with your lack of english. This is barely about airplanes or spaceships.

Last Flight Out - Plus One
2/10

Kinda gay as hell, not for me. I dig some r&b but nope. Too romantic to drive home the idea of human flight on top of it.

Pere Ubu - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
4/10

Holy fucking goth. This literally sounds like a joke song from a south park goth episode. It's a shame because there's some pretty cool weird shit going on but I just can't take those vocals seriously.

The Gathering - Liberty Bell
7/10

I dig it, 90's sounding. It has a nice build up quality that's definitely reminiscent of flight and the drum & bass remind me of the sonic level where you fight robo-sonic and that's on a spaceship so highly relevant, not to mention the sampling.

Hot Snakes - LAX
3/10

Hate this dude's voice. Grating, childish. Vaguely thematic.

Egypt - Touch Ground
0/10

Arguably too close to metal, I would've submitted an Ayreon track if we were allowing generally metal music. Sorry. I do love this album, it's excellent, but rulebreakers must be met with brutal force. You're an example to the others, now.

Catherine Faber - Providence Skies
6/10

Lol excellent. So immensely nerdy, folk elven, only it's space focused, which is pretty neat. It fits theme too. A little too goofy to be great, but it's cool.

The Lillingtons - Black Hole in My Mind
5/10

Meh. Lame lyrics, lame voice, lame 'heard it a million times before' punky riffing.

Air - Seven Stars
9/10

Trip to the Moon! Haunting, fits the video very well too. I would urge you all to check out the 'colored' version of this classic film, featuring a fantastic soundtrack. The countdown in particularly hit the theme right on the goddamn head.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression
5/10

Neat song, but upon investigation it's about a war between humans and computers, not human flight. Like, maybe it's a ship computer, but that's not even very clear. And lyrics aside it didn't give the greatest impression of the theme either.

John Murphy - Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)
9/10

Sucker for the scores, and this is an excellent one. Fully reminiscent of a journey, epic and emotional. Reminds us all we are mere humans trying our best to accomplish something beyond these earthly toils. Great choice.

Egypt is borderline but half of that track is clean and the other half is 100% Blues based hard rock. It's no heavier than soundgarden or something. I don't see how you rate a song you call excellent 0 regardless of what game it's in. That guitar riff is just a descending blues scale over and over, followed by a riff which is an ascending blues scale. I figured out the riffs before submitting it. The lyrics describe how I feel about the space program.

Last edited:
It's basically metal. In fact, don't people around here argue that Soundgarden is a metal band?

So you're saying soundgarden shouldn't be allowed in this game? Yet in the other game people would say it's not metal enough.

Stoner doom is in a weird place of being the only subgenre heavily using blues scales, nonmetal drumming and rock vocals yet still being called metal by some. This isn't even stoner really though, at least I'm not interpreting the lyrics to be about drugs here. The riffs are arguably stoner rock. It's not as heavy as some electric wizard stuff.

It is a weird place to be, but no I'd be fine with Soundgarden being in the metal themed game. Same with Egypt, it's less annoying to have a band that is basically metal in the metal themed game than the other way around.

In the context of these games, I keep it simple. If the band itself is generally considered metal, I don't care what individual songs fit that description or not, it's a metal band who would have a fighting chance in the metal mixtape game.

It's not proper to bring something that could win elsewhere, and that people are more likely to upvote because this is a metal fan website, into a non-metal game. We all love a lot of metal bands, hence the challenge here. It's a lazy cop out and if I were presiding I'd have told you to choose a different track.

Reactions: CiG
IDK how to say that nicely lol. It's my thoughts though, this game should be about stepping far away from the comfort zone. Super cereal stuff.

Reactions: CiG