Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Yeah what gets to me is the utter laziness and small-mindedness of submitting a song that is basically as close to metal as is possible in the non-metal mixtape game.

In the past I've been the only dude submitting challenging music be it classical or jazz and never won. Thought I'd appeal to the small minded, and tbh I really dig this song and it sums up how I feel about the space program. I dream about it and want nothing more than to return.

Pere Ubu - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
4/10

Holy fucking goth. This literally sounds like a joke song from a south park goth episode. It's a shame because there's some pretty cool weird shit going on but I just can't take those vocals seriously.
I didn't submit this, and I've only briefly checked out Pere Ubu, but I know they are a very interesting band which this one song doesn't do justice. Check out the album The Modern Dance.

Also it's not exactly true @Baroque that you're the only one submitting challenging stuff. I haven't won a game since the mountains theme, which was the metal mixtape game's second round and that was with a Bathory submission. Since then I've only tried to submit weird, odd, challenging or unpopular stuff.

Also it's not exactly true @Baroque that you're the only one submitting challenging stuff. I haven't won a game since the mountains theme, which was the metal mixtape game's second round and that was with a Bathory submission.

Yeah, and I have a feeling that you only won that one because Hamburger Boy neglected to vote.

Or perhaps your selections in non-metal are not developed themselves. Not that I even play these games to win, I play them to hear new stuff, which is why I get irritated by people clearly trying to win by submitting Slayer etc.

Reactions: The Butt
Or perhaps your selections in non-metal are not developed themselves. Not that I even play these games to win, I play them to hear new stuff, which is why I get irritated by people clearly trying to win by submitting Slayer etc.

They're developed unless you think Nikita Koshkin, Joe Pass and NHOP, Zorn, and Smetana,... are all undeveloped. I hear a bunch of garbage rock in these games I've considered quitting this one several times. Almost skipped this but Vegard asked me to play this round by name and this is what I wanted to submit.

I don't like when people submit obvious things like Slayer either but Egypt is hardly obvious here.

Egypt the band isn't obvious, but submitting a song that is essentially as close to metal as is possible, sort of violates the same pet peeve for me.

I've been enjoying all the pop music lately in these games as well as the occasional jazz or classical selection, I want more variety not less personally. Hell, it's why I've submitted hip hop songs a few times, even though they rarely go down well in this forum, which is apparently developed.

Yeah, not so much...

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!
that synth hook is great, it's a bit too blandly indiefied+danceable aside from that. the 'chorus' is stupid. 6/10

P.E.P.E. - Shadilay

topkek. more italo-disco on these lists though pls, this really isn't one of the better examples despite its retrospective notoriety. 4/10

Last Flight Out - Plus One

not just a boy band but a christian boy band. terrific. 2/10

god, what i would give for a full album of songs in the style of this single. zabu is right that this isn't quite representative of ubu overall, but that's a bad thing (although THE MODERN DANCE is rly good in a somewhat different way). incredible paranoia and doom here, makes 'electric funeral' sound like the smurfs. the vocals are excellent you heathens. the B-side is great too, their version of krautrock is better than most krautrock. 9/10

The Gathering - Liberty Bell

you can make it heavier or faster or give it a cranberries vocalist or whatever but i know shitty post-rock when i hear it 3/10

Hot Snakes - LAX

this band peaks high but struggles for consistency, and this is a case in point. magnificent verses, there's more beauty and emotion in those opening bars than in anything else on the list (that'll be the wipers influence), but the relative dullness of the chorus is only emphasised by how much it repeats - picks up a little at the end when the accompaniment ramps up, but still. 7/10

Egypt - Touch Ground

just not my thing regardless of genre. 4/10

Catherine Faber - Providence Skies

quite lovely. 7/10

The Lillingtons - Black Hole in My Mind

fine but just a bit generic and repetitive. 6/10

Air - Seven Stars

people who find it difficult to get into silent movies should try watching some with modern scores - it really is the most wonderfully dreamlike medium if you can get past the initial inaccessibility, and A TRIP TO THE MOON was the grandfather of that dreaminess no doubt. i don't find this downtempo/dream pop sound particularly fitting or transporting though.. it's aight. legrand's vocals are kinda like self-parody at this point which doesn't help. 5/10

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression

could definitely do with shaving off a couple minutes in the middle, and idk if it's on theme, but whatever it's probably not gonna win anyway and it's magnificently batshit. 8/10

John Murphy - Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)

pretty overwrought, which is probably why they keep using it in the walking dead. 5/10

Re: Trip to the Moon, I found this color re-scored version excellently trippy. It's a 15 minute watch.

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!
OK, cool groove, nothing that really grabbed me though. 5.5/10

P.E.P.E. - Shadilay

Eurovision eh 4/10

Last Flight Out - Plus One

Cleaner and fresher than a whore's arsehole after a session with arg. 1/10

Finally some interesting music. Dark and fucked up. 9/10

The Gathering - Liberty Bell

I kinda zoned out for a lot of this but it didn't offend me 5/10

Hot Snakes - LAX

Pretty cool punk stuff 7/10

Egypt - Touch Ground

Holy Geezer bass tone batman. It's pretty much metal but I dig it. My taste is developed enough to appreciate that it's half not metal and blues scales aren't metal or something though so 7/10

Catherine Faber - Providence Skies

Folk fuck off 2/10

The Lillingtons - Black Hole in My Mind

Super catchy, driving, simple and full of enthusiasm. As good punk should be. Big Ramones influence but they've got their own thing going on. 8/10

Air - Seven Stars

Nice. I got pretty into Air about 15 years ago I think but I haven't heard this. Cool soundscape 8/10

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression

I really hate that keyboard sound all through the first 4 minutes or so. Gets jammy and better around 4.30 and then loses it again 6/10

John Murphy - Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)

Nice enough but it kinda sounds like it was created automatically with a software plugin. "Epic movie soundtrack w/strings and piano, press any key" 5/10