Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Leadbelly - Cotton Fields
I guess these are the kind of songs you submit when you're 50 years old.
5/10

PeBdws6.gif

He's implying your scale is off. Points for theme are minimal, but if a song is off theme the score gets raped.

Because at the very least the song should be on theme, after all that's the whole point, so it doesn't deserve points in and of itself, unless you would otherwise rate it extremely low I think in that case it deserves points at the very least for being on theme.

Being off theme however defeats the whole purpose of the game and therefore deserves to be heavily penalised, same with blatantly choosing songs of the wrong genre.

Not really hard to understand for anybody willing to think longer than it takes for them to have their feelings hurt because their choice was likely scored harshly.

Dumbfux.

oppss.gif

Because at the very least the song should be on theme, after all that's the whole point, so it doesn't deserve points in and of itself, unless you would otherwise rate it extremely low I think in that case it deserves points at the very least for being on theme.Being off theme however defeats the whole purpose of the game and therefore deserves to be heavily penalised, same with blatantly choosing songs of the wrong genre.Not really hard to understand for anybody willing to think longer than it takes for them to have their feelings hurt because their choice was likely scored harshly.
Dumbfux.

Dude you asked for clarification haha

Nirvana - Sliver
Not one of their best tunes, but it still has its charm and it's thematic as fuck 7/10

Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth)

This is nice I guess 6/10

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

I've never really gotten into The Beach Boys but this is nice and not what I expected. 7/10

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

Yep, Corgan is as annoying as I remember. Siamese Dream does have some good stuff on it, but this is the track I would skip every time. It's not that bad, but after hearing it ten million times when it came out I don't need or want to hear it again. 4/10

NoMeansNo - Dad

NoMeansNo rule and although I prefer Wrong, I need to get this album and give it a proper go. 8/10

Birdbrain - Youth of America

This is like, sooooo cool man. 4/10

The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits

Pretty punk-by-numbers but not too bad 6/10

Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All

Damn you arg 3/10

Eh? This is clearly metal. It's also shit. Must try harder. 1/10

LeadBelly - Cotton Fields

Not my kind of old blues. Too happy. 4/10

The Cure - A Forest

My fave Cure song. Shame it's not on theme. 6/10

Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave

I've heard some Tom Waits I didn't mind, live with a minimal jazz backing band. This isn't doing much for me though, his vocals sound way over the top and out of place. 4/10

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

Classic. So good and on theme as fuck. 10/10

Avatarium certainly deserves to be downrated for showing up on this thread, and you'd be remiss to do otherwise, but I don't understand why people think it's okay to dislike that song on its own merits.

Alright it's clear I'm not going to win this so I'll be 'less vague' - I picked Avatarium. It was a bit of an experiment since it contains both metal and nonmetal parts. Yes I do believe it deserves more than 1 point for theme.

The nonmetal parts evoke the innocence and wonder of childhood better the most of the shit in this list. While the metal parts represent the dread and reality of adulthood as a contrast. Since this is the nonmetal thread I thought people could isolate the nonmetal parts and rate just based on those alone, or give bonus points for contrasting metal with nonmetal thematically, but clearly that is too difficult for some.

"The nonmetal parts are perfectly on theme and it's a good song, oh wait here's a metal guitar riff, that invalidates everything. 1 point."

Can you imagine this in the metal thread?

"The metal parts are perfectly on theme and it's a good song, oh wait here's a nonmetal guitar riff, that invalidates everything. 1 point"

Alright it's clear I'm not going to win this so I'll be 'less vague' - I picked Avatarium. It was a bit of an experiment since it contains both metal and nonmetal parts. Yes I do believe it deserves more than 1 point for theme.

The nonmetal parts evoke the innocence and wonder of childhood better the most of the shit in this list. While the metal parts represent the dread and reality of adulthood as a contrast. Since this is the nonmetal thread I thought people could isolate the nonmetal parts and rate just based on those alone, or give bonus points for contrasting metal with nonmetal thematically, but clearly that is too difficult for some.
For me it was the combo of the song clearly being a metal song and the "non-metal parts" being extremely cheesy and lame that made me give such a low rating. I think Sliver's lyrics evoke the "innocence and wonder" of childhood much more than some namby-pamby questions to Mother about horses on the moon and tigers in the sea.

I think it's fucking bizarre of you to conduct "a bit of an experiment" and then get so crazily butthurt when it falls flat on its face. What the fuck were you expecting? It's not like the non-metal parts in the song play any sort of major role in the song either; it's just some pre-heavy part acoustic verse sections and that's it.

"The nonmetal parts are perfectly on theme and it's a good song, oh wait here's a metal guitar riff, that invalidates everything. 1 point."

Can you imagine this in the metal thread?

"The metal parts are perfectly on theme and it's a good song, oh wait here's a nonmetal guitar riff, that invalidates everything. 1 point"
I can't imagine this in the metal thread because songs aren't split up into "metal parts" and "non-metal parts" ever. Metal songs that have acoustic sections in them are still metal songs and will be judged as such.

Metal/nonmetal is not binary.

... I would leave it there but cig will probably bitch. It's not black and white. There are gray areas. You can have a song that is 100% metal throughout or 100% nonmetal throughout sure, but you can also have songs that are 50/50, 60/40, etc. if you classify all mixed songs as 'metal' that's lame and lazy imo.

Point is this song walks close to the line between the two and the game master agreed or it wouldn't have been included. The nonmetal parts are emphasized strongly. Some People would have said it's not metal enough in the other thread.

For me it was the combo of the song clearly being a metal song and the "non-metal parts" being extremely cheesy and lame that made me give such a low rating. I think Sliver's lyrics evoke the "innocence and wonder" of childhood much more than some namby-pamby questions to Mother about horses on the moon and tigers in the sea.

I think it's fucking bizarre of you to conduct "a bit of an experiment" and then get so crazily butthurt when it falls flat on its face. What the fuck were you expecting? It's not like the non-metal parts in the song play any sort of major role in the song either; it's just some pre-heavy part acoustic verse sections and that's it.

I can't imagine this in the metal thread because songs aren't split up into "metal parts" and "non-metal parts" ever. Metal songs that have acoustic sections in them are still metal songs and will be judged as such.

It's called absurd poetry. E E Cummings was a famous poet who wrote in this style, and I've used his poetry in my own nonmetal songs in the past. It's supposed to make you think abstractly about the subject, not just take it literally.

Non-metal means no metal, not hard to understand so I really don't get this whole phony outrage.

That song would have been fine in the metal theme, stop acting like a martyr all the time and just play the fucking game pal.