Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

I think you cut that quote too early sonny-jim.

*but later denied it and stated, "It's just about a forest".

I stand by my rating, it's a vague song about a dream which in no way references children or childhood. It's only connection to childhood is a Robert Smith quote which was later denied anyway.

Yeah, but he at first stated it was about his childhood dream so there has to be some truth. He denied that because it sounded stupid to him and he knew that giving more insight into that dream would ruin the meaning or just sound too childish so he just dismissed the case.

Nirvana - Silver
Although fun, I'm not too big on most Nirvana. They typically go for the easy hooks and easy rhymes, which bothers me. Still not bad. 5/10.

Nozomi Aoki -
Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth)
Very cool lullaby type piece. Strings are spot on. Vocals are haunting. The end wasn't as eerie as the beginning though. 8/10.

The Beach Boys -
Surf's Up
A little subdued for a Beach Boys tune. It's pretty cool and all but I'm about to go surfing and this is definitely not putting me in the mood. 5/10.

The Smashing Pumpkins -
Disarm
Another one I thought about throwing in but then I'm like hell no, this is constantly rotated on the radio. Ain't nobody gotta hear this in the mixtape game. Good song, points off for overt popularity. 6/10.

NoMeansNo - Dad
Fun punk with some inyourface lyrics. 7/10.

Birdbrain -
Youth of America
Along with Red Right Hand, best song off of the excellent Scream soundtrack. Ah nostalgia. 10/10.

The Queers -
Ursala Finally Has Tits
I feel this should've been more aggressive for whatever reason but it's a dandy tune. 6/10.

Whitney Houston -
Greatest Love of All
Fuck you. 2/10.

Moonhorse
This is a confusing pick. It's not a bad song. Some of it belongs here, but it prolly belongs in that other thread we have loitering around. I'm just gonna go with a 5/10.

LeadBelly -
The song formerly known as Midnight Special
Another confusing pick. Stop it! I'm gonna subtract one point for my efforts of getting out of the current playlist to find the intended track and then resuming said playlist. Hey I'm a generous motherfucker. 4/10.

The Cure - A Forest
So we're thematically off, yes? Whatever The Cure is siiick so I can't hold that against the submitter too much. 7/10.

Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave
Tom fucking Waits man. Great pick. 10/10.

Wu-Tang Clan -
C.R.E.A.M.
I really never listen to Wu-Tang. This ain't bad folks. 5/10.

You should be less vague. What?

More points are taken away for being off theme than are given for being on theme. We should be more consistent. For example offer a total of 3 points possible for theme, 7 points for enjoyment of song, something like that.

Or 5 and 5. Either way it should be consistent

More points are taken away for being off theme than are given for being on theme. We should be more consistent. For example offer a total of 3 points possible for theme, 7 points for enjoyment of song, something like that.

I don't believe in automatic points for being on theme. So long as it fits the theme, I simply rate it on its own merits, with the possibility of extra credit if it really nails the theme. If there's a song that I believe deserves a 2/10, I don't want to give it any additional points simply for following the rules.

merely being on theme is hardly a challenging requirement, it no more deserves a reward than not pissing the bed this morning. i'm happy to reward particularly creative or fitting choices though.

What old wainds and Serjeant Grumbles said.
Also how do you even know that I took 5 points away for being off theme? I don't specify how many points are given or taken, ever.

Last edited:
Nirvana - Sliver
6/10

Nozomi Aoki - Longing
Nice contrast. Haven't seen this anime but I want to now, this is gorgeous.
8/10

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Not a big Beach Boys fan. Wilson's busy arrangements tire me out.
6/10

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
5/10

Nomeansno - Dad

Reminds me that Korn - Daddy would have also been a fitting pick for this theme. Not sure if I should be disappointed or relieved that it isn't here.
9/10

Birdbrain - Youth of America
7/10

The Queers - Ursula Finally Has Tits
4/10

Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All
No.
2/10

I wouldn't rate this very high in the correct mixtape game.
1/10

Leadbelly - Cotton Fields
I guess these are the kind of songs you submit when you're 50 years old.
5/10

The Cure - A Forest
You could argue that authorial intent isn't enough to qualify a song as fitting the theme if there's nothing in the lyrics to indicate it, but then again compared to the trees we're all children.
8/10

Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave

Nope, I still don't like Tom Waits.
3/10

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.
I fundamentally don't understand hip-hop but I guess this is alright.
6/10