Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Metal/nonmetal is not binary.

... I would leave it there but cig will probably bitch. It's not black and white. There are gray areas. You can have a song that is 100% metal throughout or 100% nonmetal throughout sure, but you can also have songs that are 50/50, 60/40, etc. if you classify all mixed songs as 'metal' that's lame and lazy imo.

Point is this song walks close to the line between the two and the game master agreed or it wouldn't have been included. The nonmetal parts are emphasized strongly. Some People would have said it's not metal enough in the other thread.
This all just reads like you're reaching super hard because you fucked up and put a metal song in the non-metal game. It's been long established that the game master will usually include everyone's submissions and it's up to whoever is rating to downrate as applicable.

Should I call Fade to Black a "mixed" song? Pfft.

It's called absurd poetry. E E Cummings was a famous poet who wrote in this style, and I've used his poetry in my own nonmetal songs in the past. It's supposed to make you think abstractly about the subject, not just take it literally.
Great. Does that mean I'm not allowed to find it super lame?

Maybe because it's old folk, not old blues.
Old folk is definitely the kind of old blues I don't like.

1. Nirvana - Silver - 4
fuck grunge and fuck nirvana tbh

2. Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth) - 8
pretty

3. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up - 7
silly hippie music

4. The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm - 8
nice

5. NoMeansNo - Dad - 5
punk annoys me

6. Birdbrain - Youth of America - 3
pop rock is worse

7. The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits - 3
pls stop

8. Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All - 9
what a voice

9. Avatarium - Moonhorse - 3
metal or non-metal this blows

10. LeadBelly - Cotton Fields - 1
get back to them

11. The Cure - A Forest - 7
nice but where are the kids?

12. Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave - 5
this fucking guy again lol

13. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. - 6
word

10. LeadBelly - Cotton Fields - 1
get back to them

tumblr_mns2ziaFwV1rs4x0jo1_500.gif

Reactions: arg
1. Nirvana - Silver

7/10

2. Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth)

8/10

3. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

6/10

4. The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

I wish Billy Corgan wasn't such a fucking asshole because TSP made some really great music

8/10

5. NoMeansNo - Dad

8/10

6. Birdbrain - Youth of America

5/10

7. The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits

Joe Queer is another gigantic asshole and The Queers aren't nearly as good as TSP, but this is a fun song

7/10

8. Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All

What a fucking voice

8/10

9. Avatarium - Moonhorse

Don't know if I can accurately rate this, because I really am digging it, but being a predominantly metal song it doesn't belong here

5/10 (few points higher if this were a metal game)

10. LeadBelly - Cotton Fields

7/10

11. The Cure - A Forest

8/10

Might not be the clearest song about childhood, but god its a good song

I can't hear it without hearing this mashup though

12. Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave

Never found myself caring about Waits much

6/10

13. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

10/10 easily

Nirvana – Silver

Don’t know this song, don’t like it. Shitty chorus. 3/10.

Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth)

Was hoping it would go somewhere else, but it was pleasant. Kind of tuned out tbh. 6/10.

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

I’ve never really listened to the Beach Boys, and definitely nothing from this album afaik. Just something I dragged my feet on. That’s changing though, this was amazing. My first thought for this round was to go with a Jellyfish song which would have come up pretty pale next to this. 10/10.

The Smashing Pumpkins – Disarm

Love this album, one of my childhood favorites (even though I mostly knew it just through the various singles than the album itself), but this song was always a little up and down for me. Incredibly melodramatic and sappy, but these days, fuck it, I still think it works. 8/10.

NoMeansNo – Dad

Not one of my favorites on the album (was probably my least favorite at first), much simpler than most of their stuff and lacking the spazz factor I love about them, but when I read the meaning behind the song it made it all click. 8/10.

Birdbrain - Youth of America

I feel like I’m supposed to know this song but I’m not getting quite a nostalgic response from anything more than the type of music this is. But I guess I never actually saw the original Scream come to think of it, I was in kindergarten and every other kid trick-or-treating had a Scream mask but my parents wouldn’t let me watch it. Still enjoyed it a lot anyways. 7/10.

The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits

Lmao @ all the women named Ursula leaving comments on the video. I don’t think would have much lasting power with me, but I’m enjoying this right now. 7/10.

Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All

Fuck anyone giving this a low score. I’d ask how anyone can claim to enjoy metal and not appreciate this voice, considering a long history of powerful clean metal singers and canonization of many classic ballad tracks but then I’d remember that half of you listen to bullshit post-80s metal anyways. 8/10.

I read a little bit of the argument of the metalness of this song prior to listening to the playlist, but I forgot who Avatarium were. I thought they were another Ayreon-like deal. One second in and I’m already all “Candlemass wut?”. Anyways, good but feels a bit overlong, structure is kind of boring. Not not metal. 2/10.

LeadBelly - Cotton Fields

Liked it. 6/10.

The Cure - A Forest

Not big on the Cure, but I like this, a bit punchier than their later stuff. Minus a little for not being thematic enough. 3/10.

Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave

I never quite got the Muppets description applied to this guy until now. Made me laugh, tried reading the lyrics alongside, still laughing. 5/10.

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

Enjoyed it a lot. 7/10.

Overall one of my favorite playlists and themes probably.

Fuck anyone giving this a low score. I’d ask how anyone can claim to enjoy metal and not appreciate this voice, considering a long history of powerful clean metal singers and canonization of many classic ballad tracks but then I’d remember that half of you listen to bullshit post-80s metal anyways. 8/10.

It doesn't matter how good her voice is when the song uses rather insipid major key melodies. I don't see how liking clean metal singers who sing predominantly minor key tunes means I should like this song.

This is not to say that songs in a major key are automatically shitty. You need only look at the song I submitted for the BURDEN theme or the positive score I gave to Roy Orbison - In Dreams to see that I don't think that way. But the way major chords and melodies are used over 90% of the time conveys a very blandly upbeat aesthetic.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
That song you submitted still sounds bleak. Flamboyant homosexual power metal is still better than gothshit or atmoshit.

(The second sentence of my comment was directed at no wainds' comment for the song btw.)

I can get down with some of Whitney's poppy stuff and her voice is undeniable, but her megaballads make me want to go on a murderous rampage.

Nirvana - Silver
6/10
I've never heard this song, as I've never delved deeply into Nirvana, beyond In Utero and Nevermind. It's okay.

Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth)
8/10
If this is Mort's pick, I greatly underestimated him. This lushly orchestrated score oozes with wistful melancholy.

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
6/10
This is more like an evening at the beach than sitting under the overbearing midday sun. Still kind of meh, though.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
8/10
As the theme is childhood, nostalgia points should be duly considered. As it is, this is a good, heartfelt ballad, although it will never stop sounding like Billy Corgan is singing "Sodomy is such a part of you."

NoMeansNo - Dad
7/10
I understand that this band is known for more experimental work than this, but this is decent, albeit standard punk.

Birdbrain - Youth of America
7.5/10
This reminds me of what Carpe said a while back about how the 90's had some of the best truly mainstream music of any decade. This is clearly radio-friendly material with a catchy hook, but it's not bad because it sprung from the Zeitgeist of that decade.

The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits
5.5/10
This is an ironic song title considering the name of the band. Although I am partial to their song "I Can't Stop Farting", I am not partial to pop punk in general, although this is more punk than pop at least.

2/10
More like Shitney Houston, amirite guise?

3.5/10
Powerful vocal performance from Jennie-Ann Smith, rock solid riffs, and psychadelic elements - it's a shame that this does not belong. I don't know how some acoustic verses negate the fact that this is a metal song. I hate having to subtract points for this, especially since I now need to apply a butthurt penalty in addition to the point deduction for being metal.

LeadBelly - Cotton Fields
4.5/10
This song just doesn't really do it for me. However, when it comes to picking cotton, nothing beats "Pick a Bale of Cotton" by the very same artist.

The Cure - A Forest
8/10
I first heard this song via the cover by Carpathian Forest. It's a classy song, so I guess I'll have to take it on faith that it's about a childhood dream.

Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave
5/10
I don't find this early era of Tom Waits very interesting to be honest. This was before the music got darker, edgier, and weirder. It does still possess some of the hallmarks of his signature sound.

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.
8/10
Wu-Tang Clan is naught with which to be trifled.

1. Nirvana - Silver 4/10
Dull and uninspiring like most Nirvana.

2. Nozomi Aoki - Longing (Mother in My Mind - Blue Earth) 8/10

Beautiful.

3. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up 8/10

I'm not all that familiar with The Beach Boys, this was amazing. Love the vocals and arrangement of the song.

4. The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm 6.5/10

Haven't heard this in a long time, pretty good.

5. NoMeansNo - Dad 7/10

Injects some energy after the previous 3 tracks. This was a fun and enjoyable number.

6. Birdbrain - Youth of America 5/10

Parts of this are irritating. Pretty average on the whole.

7. The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits 3/10

Awful. Don't understand the appeal of these vocals at all. I wanted to like this because the song title is amazing.

8. Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All 4/10

Undeniably has a great voice, but this is far too insipid and sappy for me. Still better than the above song.

9. Avatarium - Moonhorse 4.5/10

Clearly in the wrong game, but I actually enjoyed this and would have rated it around a 7.

10. LeadBelly - Cotton Fields 5/10

Has no appeal to me at all.

11. The Cure - A Forest 7/10

Would probably be the best song here if it was on theme, but it doesn't seem to be so I can't rate it as high as I'd like.

12. Tom Waits - Kentucky Ave 9/10

Nowhere near as weird as his later stuff. Amazing vocals and lyrics in this song with a soothing piano to top it off. The last third is particularly heartfelt.

13. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. 4.5/10

Sorry, I've never enjoyed hip hop and I'm almost certain I never will. I can't even attempt to objectively rate this.

@H.P. Lovecraft you didn't rate! I knew I forgot someone. Ah well.

Here's the scores:
1. Nozomi Aoki - Longing 7.7 @Vegard Pompey
2. NoMeansNo - Dad 7.4 @HamburgerBoy
3. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. 7.2 @CASSETTEISGOD
4. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up 7.1 @no country for old wainds
5. The Cure - A Forest - 6.8 @EspaDa
6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm 6.7 @Serjeant Grumbles
7. Tom Waits -Kentucky Ave 6.6 @Phylactery
8. Birdbrain - Youth of America 5.85 @dwellerINTHEdark
9. The Queers - Ursala Finally Has Tits 5.45 @Mort Divine
10. Nirvana - Silver 5.25 @Satanstoenail
11. LeadBelly - Cotton Fields 5.1 @H.P. Lovecraft
12. Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All 4.6 @arg
13. Avatarium - Moonhorse 3.1 @Baroque

Congratulations to @Vegard Pompey the torch has been passed to you once again, now lead us to the next theme!