Split Enz - Shark Attack

7/10

Nest - Across the Waters

6.5/10

Townes van Zandt - Silver Ships of Andilar

10/10

Paul Robeson - Sea Fever

6/10

With any luck I'll have it rated by morning, I also intend to post the results for June's UM Hall of Fame inductions within the same timeframe, in spite of the unpardonable and sordid delay on my part. I'll be initiating the July inductions this coming Sunday the 24th as well with regards to anyone interested.

I don't think that's the case. Lots of times I've judged something by one song and thought it was crap and then changed my mind based on listening to the entire album. However, based on this exercise alone and basing the songs on such a narrow theme, yes I'm allowed to be close minded

I think it's rather telling that the only songs you rated above 5 were hard rock songs, which suggests that your horizons aren't sufficiently wide for the non-metal mixtape game.

We have opinions about your opinions.

xzibit-wtf.jpg

Reactions: AllShallFall
Elend, Melpomene - 7.5/10, Sweetly played, ominous strains of orchestral strings, the choral stuff is rather beautiful as well. Bizarre, mumbled narration underneath. Briefly goes full Bach fugue 2 minutes in with the creepy fortissimo dirge. Superb utilization of woodwinds too, overall the orchestra has a very keen sense of dynamism. Reminiscent of a romantic era composition the way the emotive forces just bleed out of the music. Choral segments and entire composition just get progressively eerier and more foreboding, simply magnificent. Unequivocally thematic, I felt like I was in the most despondency ridden, doomiest sea storm of all time.

The Sisters of Mercy, Marian - 6/10, Bassy goth crooning over accelerated minor key bass and guitar riffage, badass stuff. The 80's synths only improve it. German lyrical changeover was unprecedented, actually sounds even better than the English variant. Could just be my bias towards the German language as sounding prettier when spoken softly. Overall, some decent goth-tinged post-punk, if a little monotonous. Thematic.

Led Zeppelin, The Ocean - 7.5/10, One of Jimmy Page's all time funkiest riffs, Plant is a tad nasally here for my tastes, but still provides an abundance of his sublime semi-erotic wail-craft. Bonham just lays down an impeccably sexy groove while Jones follows the guitar. I forgot how swing jazz esque it got around 3 minutes and 30 seconds, specifically with Bonham's drums and the way Page solos over it. Thematic.

Clutch, Sea of Destruction - 4/10, Intro drum fill is good, riffage is good Zeppelin worship funnily enough given the prior track. Vocalist sounds too modern rock/grunge for me to like him, just that bland caterwauling pseudo-gritty faggotry, yuck. Not the worst singer, just not the greatest either. Thematic.

Chelsea Wolfe, Mer - 5/10, I don't mind the guitar opening, the drums are intriguing with the Latin rhythms they abruptly lock into the moment they come in. The female vocals are so muffled I find it difficult to discern their actual quality. I like the way it evokes such a strange mood, but despise how repetitive it is. Thematic.

Bedrich Smetana/The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Die Moldau - 8/10, I genuinely wasn't expecting Smetana or any of his ilk to show up here, but this is a pleasant surprise, the man was a genius. Lush and whimsical arrangement of this piece, though I expect no less from an orchestra of the caliber of the Berlin Philharmonic. Exuberant and colorful brass, over soaring strings and tinkling percussion, just a piece of inconceivable majesty. As with many great classical pieces the mood shifts are mindblowingly fluid, and made all the more so by a world class orchestra who're capable of playing just about anything on a dime. I adore the bombast and might of pieces like this, it's likely the main reason I'm so fond of Wagner's operas. Sadly, as effusively as I have to praise the piece itself, it's not even on theme given the Moldau is a river, not a sea or ocean (otherwise this would receive a perfect rating).

Pallas, Atlantis - 5/10, Passable instrumentation, vocals are meh, if a smidgen annoying. The whole piece just resonates as antiseptic and banal to me for the vast majority of it. It starts becoming a little epic within approximately the last 2 minutes, which salvages it from complete banality. Thematic.

Split Enz, Shark Attack - 7/10, Badass punk-ish surf rock, swinging beat, crazed vocalist and weird synth sounds, melding with the light guitar and thick bass to generate a frantic, rocking soundscape. Thematic.

Nest, Across The Waters, - 6.5/10, Serene acoustic and orchestral blend, gives off a vibe of mysteriousness or awestruck, first-time exploration of some aquatic body. This is driven home to greater effect due to the realistic water sounds added to fill in the delicate and sparing instrumentation. Feels like something a Rush/Rainbow/Hans Zimmer collaboration would produce, if that makes any sense. Thematic.

Townes van Zandt, Silver Ships of Andilar - 7/10, Adore the folksy guitar combined with the sea shanty style melody, beauteous, charismatic folk voice on the singer. Thematic.

Paul Robeson, Sea Fever - 8/10, Paul Robeson is one of the greatest bass voices ever burnt into the grooves of a record, dude had a voice that could drive a continent into outerspace, resonant, thunderous, expert vibrato and legato, and a volume and control rivalled by only a select few. Thematic.

Elend – Melpomene

a typically mesmerising tune from what i’ve long considered the most intense, vivid and spinetinglingly beautiful album ever recorded. the fluidity of these winding compositions is aeons beyond all of their other (still mostly great) work, and creates the kind of hallucinatory imagery that renders drugs obsolete. it isn’t the best song on there - perhaps lacking a true climactic moment to bring me to eargasm - and it fits better in the context of the album which is a thoroughly holistic work, but let’s face it some of you cunts wouldn’t know great music if it got lodged between your labia. the one criticism i’ll accept is the production values – while it mostly works fine to me, i’d still love to hear it re-recorded one day. 10/10

The Sisters of Mercy - Marian

this kinda straddles the line between understated and affected, hypnotic and monotonous, but it just about works. there doesn’t seem to be much that’s distinctive about its atmosphere though. 6/10

Led Zeppelin – The Ocean

again this is a perfectly acceptable example of a style i don’t particularly care for – too light-hearted and funky, not dreamy enough to appeal regardless (unlike, say, captain beyond). 6/10

Clutch – Sea of Destruction

too stoned out for my tastes, but it’s solid sabbath worship with terrific production. 6.5/10

Chelsea Wolfe – Mer

decent portishead imitation (circa THIRD), no more and no less. i appreciate the dense instrumentation going on here, always something new going on without sacrificing tone. if someone picks her again in the near future i’m gonna start getting antsy tho 7/10

Bedrich Smetana – Die Moldau

sounds a little straightforward and populist to me; i imagine i’d be less enamoured if i was a classical nerd. since i’m not, yeah it’s pretty sweet, even if i’ve heard excerpts like a hundred times. problem is it’s apparently not thematic – i’d be willing to forgive that if it sounded ‘oceanic’ enough but, uh, it sounds like a river. hoping it doesn’t win for this reason, but i can’t bring myself to rate it really low. 5/10

Pallas – Atlantis

this is such unapologetic starry-eyed prog epic that it’s super endearing, and so dated (despite being neo-) as to be quite otherworldly. also totally stupid of course, but i really like it in the same way i like old bargain-bin sci-fi novels. what’s wrong with the vocals? 7.5/10

Split Enz – Shark Attack

nice, i’ve been itching for something more up-tempo. nothing too special but quirky with lots of attitude. 7.5/10

Nest – Across the Waters

i’ve been a fan of WOODSMOKE ever since it came out – there’s nothing particularly intelligent about its compositions, but they have an atmospheric niche and nail it really well, hits the spot sometimes. i haven’t heard this one but it sounds in a fairly similar vein, maybe less sparse and more drawn out and less kantele-driven, none of which is a good thing to me. the synths are kind of hurting my ears as well atm. 5/10

Townes Van Zandt – Silver Ships of Andilar

very nice. not much to add to everyone else's glowing reviews, 'cept i'm maybe not as a head over heels for this stuff as some of you. i bet he has some songs i'll really love though. 8/10

Paul Robeson – Sea Fever

i’d only heard ‘ol’ man river’ before and loved it. this is similarly searing. takes an amazing voice to make something like this still work in 2016. 9/10

rushed through this a bit sry. interesting enough list that rarely wowed me. now give townes the obvious win so we can get on with it!

The winner is @HamburgerBoy with Townes Van Zandt - Silver Ships of Andilar! Congrats to HBB on his first-ever win.

Townes Van Zandt - Silver Ships of Andilar ( @HamburgerBoy ) - 7.50
Biedrich Smetana - Die Moldau ( @Baroque ) - 6.82
Chelsea Wolfe - Mer ( @Serjeant Grumbles ) - 6.73
Paul Robeson - Sea Fever ( @H.P. Lovecraft ) - 6.5
Sisters of Mercy - Marian ( @dwellerINTHEdark ) - 6.27
Led Zeppelin - The Ocean ( @Ozzman ) - 6.27
Split Enz - Shark Attack ( @Satanstoenail ) - 6.00
Clutch - Sea of Destruction ( @EspaDa ) - 5.91
Elend - Melpomene ( @no country for old wainds ) - 5.86
Pallas - Atlantis ( @CASSETTEISGOD ) - 5.64
Nest - Across the Waters ( @Funerary_Doom ) - 5.23

I'll post my own ratings soon.

Elend - Melpomene
This is too intense for casual listening - I feel like I'd need to listen to this in a dark room at night with no distractions, and then the next day I'd be found dead my body all bloated and my lungs filled with water, apparently having drowned on my living room floor.
9/10

The Sisters of Mercy - Marian
8/10

Led Zeppelin - The Ocean
I don't hate Led Zep but this was really fucking boring. I'm shocked two people submitted this.
2/10

Clutch - Sea of Destruction
4/10

Chelsea Wolfe - Mer
I wasn't fond of the last eighteen Chelsea Wolfe songs in this game but this is darkly captivating and gorgeous. I had no expectations when I selected this theme but it ended up being a great success at least in my estimation, so many submissions across a multitude of genres all dark and heavy in their own right. It made for a very cohesive mixtape, and a gloomier one even than the death mixtape.
7/10

Biedrich Smetana - Die Moldau

Maybe not the best pick, but not a particularly objectionable one either.
6/10

Pallas - Atlantis
I was actually hoping for some prog when I picked this theme, sadly CiG was the only one who had the right idea.
8/10

Split Enz - Shark Attack
5/10

Nest - Across the Waters
3/10

Townes Van Zandt - Silver Ships of Andilar
Now I wonder if I should've given the last Zandt song more of a chance because this is really fucking amazing. I imagine this is fundamentally appealing to metalheads in general just like some previous winners like "Throw Down the Sword" so I'm not at all surprised it won.
9/10

Paul Robeson - Sea Fever

I'm never complaining about your old people music again HP.
9/10

Paul Robeson - Sea Fever
I'm never complaining about your old people music again HP.
9/10
HA. That song is far more ancient than me, but yeah. Paul Robeson is hands down one of my favorite singers ever, which made the song an easy choice, and while I do love that one, I still stand by this specific rendition of Go Down, Moses by him as my favorite performance of his:

It's so thundering, you can almost picture that as the actual voice of God himself if he were speak those words.